Yesterday, the US Department of Justice issued a press release announcing the arrest of more than 2300 suspected online child sex offenders during operation “Broken Heart”.

According to the press release, “The operation targeted suspects who: (1) produce, distribute, receive and possess child pornography; (2) engage in online enticement of children for sexual purposes; (3) engage in the sex trafficking of children; and (4) travel across state lines or to foreign countries and sexually abuse children.”

The 61 ICAC task forces, located in all 50 states and comprised of more than 4,500 federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies, made the 2,300 arrests. Of the 2300, the task forces identified 195 offenders (8% of those arrested) who either produced child pornography or committed child sexual abuse. Presumably the remaining 92% were simple possession.

The press release also does not disclose how many of the 2,300 were already registered as sex offenders. That statistic would be important to know.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This