Many of you are aware that there was a vigilante killing in Omaha, Nebraska this past weekend, and the murderer turned himself into the police last night.
The Omaha media, particularly the World-Herald, has all but canonized the murderer, making him a sympathetic character, while the registrant he killed was not a sympathetic character. This has led to an outpouring of support for the murderer.
But, no matter the backstory between the two individuals, the fact remains that this was an act of pre-meditated murder by someone who used registry information as a weapon to murder a registered citizen. This was not self-defense, but a cold, calculated killing.
The murderer is behind bars right now, but for how long, I don’t know.
There is a Facebook group, the same group that was stalking the registrant for years, has repackaged itself today as “Free James Fairbanks” in honor of the man they had a role in murdering (the killer has been connected with this Facebook page). Facebook has a long history of discrimination against registrants. Last year, Facebook was caught allowing threats against those accused or convicted of sex offenses.
There have also been GoFundMe pages popping up to raise money for this killer.
After spending all day with this news, I’ve settled on some ideas on how you, particularly those of you in larger, more influential groups than OnceFallen, may address this issue:
- Contact the Douglas County County Attorney’s office and request they deny bail to Fairbanks. Ask he be prosecuted for a hate crime. The vigilante group is raising funds now for this killer’s legal defense so if he gets bail, he could be free. Here’s a contact form:
- Report the vigilante group “Free James Fairbanks” to Facebook as a hate group. They whitewashed some threatening statements but this is the group connected to the killer:
- Report this Change.org Petition. There is a “Report a policy violation” option but it is part of the way down the page, below petition updates.
- Contact GoFundMe and demand they reject ALL vigilante petitions for funds that reward criminal behavior. At last count, there were 5 separate fundraisers for James Fairbanks:
- I’d contact the Nebraskans Unafraid Group to see if you can help them in any way. This is a good time to attack the Nebraska registry:
I have found the local Omaha World-Herald to be a less than neutral source. They are, in my opinion, very slanted in painting James Fairbanks as a sympathetic figure and seemingly promoting the vigilante group and the fundraisers.
This is a very good time to make the Nebraska legislature aware of the dangers the public registry creates. This is not the first time there was a murder in Nebraska and it won’t be the last.
Derek W. Logue of OnceFallen.com
Registered Citizen/ Civil Rights Advocate #abolishtheregistry